Before we get started How to Prepare Thenga Choru/Thenga Choru Recipe Let’s get to know what is it.
Thenga Choru/Thenga Choru Recipe is coconut rice which is popular Malabar rice Before Biryani conquered the Muslims kitchens. Most of the houses still prepare.
It is a poor man’s biryani. Nowadays people also prepare Thenga Choru for few events, functions and occasions like Onam Sadhya.
This is a traditional dish which is also prepared for Onam Sadhya feast.
You might feel incomplete for Onam sadhya if thenga choru is not prepared.
Thenga Choru as got different variations, they are :
- Thalassery Thenga Choru also calls as Malabar thenga choru is a variant from the usual biryani. It is a tasty dish that goes well with beef dishes or any other non-veg dishes as an accompaniment.
- Malappuram Thenga Choru is also coconut rice has got a lot of variations in different regions of Kerala. This is the Northern Kerala side variation which is mainly prepared in Malappuram side.
- Manja Choru Recipe is prepared for special occasions. Manja or Manjal means Turmeric.
The recipe shared here is a simple Thenga Choru with coconut milk recipe.
If you are looking for more Kerala Specials & Onam Sadhya Recipes :
Check out :
- Kalan Recipe
- Olan Recipe
- Paal Payasam
- Pulissery Recipe
- Pineapple Pachadi
- Avial Curry
- Kadala Curry
- Kerala Rasam
- Kootu Curry Recipe
Ingredients for Thenga Choru/Thenga Choru Recipe:
- Gram rice ( cooked ) – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad Dal – 1 teaspoon
- Cashew nuts – 6 to 7 nos
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Chopped green chillies – 2 nos
- Grated coconut – 1 tablespoon
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
THENGA CHORU/THENGA CHORU RECIPE Step by Step Process :
- Before I start making the recipe, I have already cooked the rice and kept it aside which am going to use it to prepare thenga choru.
- So, simply I will start with heating the oil in a hollow vessel or Kadai on a medium flame.
- Now add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Once crackled add urad dal and saute it until its golden in colour.
- Add cashew nuts and saute it until they turn golden.
- Now add curry leaves, green chillies and saute it for a couple of mins and stir continuously to avoid burning.
- Now add grated coconut powder and coconut milk, lemon juice and freshly chopped coriander and stir continuously and cook it on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once done add the cooked rice and mix all the ingredients well and stir it for more 5 mins on slow flame.
- Thenga Choru is ready to serve.
- Serve it hot with accompanying with a side dish.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.