Sabudana Khichdi Recipe – Is a pilaf or Pulao made using sago ( tapioca pearls ), Its a vegan and a gluten-free recipe, which is extremely a very popular dish in India during the fasting season of Navratri or Mahashivratri.
It is filled up with starch or carbohydrates which gives you enough and needed energy boost when fasting.
It’s a light dish prepare using Sabudana, chillies, curry leaves, peanuts and mild spices.
You can also make sweet Sabudana Khichdi Recipe or Masala Sabudana Khichdi Recipe.
This is very simple, easy and flavorful. It is a caution not to use a lot of spices because it’s often made during the fasting season, eating a lot of spices is prohibited during that time.
I think the biggest problem that everyone faces while making Khichdi is that the pearls just clump together and becomes a gloppy mess.
I will share you some tips to make Sabudana Khichdi Recipe which can help you to make a perfect Khichdi and this comes with time and practice.
The Recipe am sharing is a Maharashtrian Sabudana Khichdi Recipe.
If you are looking for more Navratri Vrat Recipes:
Check out :
- Kuttu Ka Dosa
- Aloo Ki Kadhi
- Singhare Atta Ka Samosa
- Arbi Kofta Recipe
- Chawal Dhokla
- Makhana Kheer
- Vrat Wale Aloo Rasedaar
- Navratri Special Lassi
Tips to make Non-sticky Sabudana Khichdi Recipe:
- The first important step is to rinse the Sabudana in water until the water turns clear to get rid of the starch.
- Most of the recipe makers say to soak them for 4 to 5 hours, but out of my experience, I would prefer to soak them overnight to cook the perfect Sabudana Khichdi.
- Next biggest mistake a lot of people make is add more than enough water in soaking Sabudana which results in Sabudana turning into a gloppy mess. Always use 1:1 ration of Sabudana and water.
- The next morning drain the leftover water in Sabudana as it absorbs water when soaked. However, drain the water using a colander just to make sure that there is no water left.
- You should be able to smash it easily when you press the sabudana using your thumb and index finger when it is properly soaked.
- Last but not least, this plays a major role in cooking nonsticky Sabudana Khichdi Recipe. Don’t cook or stir the sabudana for a long time once you add them into the pan, cook only for few mins until the pearls become semi-transparent.
- Follow these tips to avoid nonsticky and to cook perfect Sabudana Khichdi Recipe.
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe:
- Sabudana – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Diced Potato – 1 medium-sized
- Peanuts – 2 tablespoons
- Chopped green chillies – 1 to 2 nos
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Water 1 cup
- Oil 1 tablespoon
How to make Sabudana Khichdi Recipe Step by step process:
- As I said in the tips first rinse the Sabudana in water until the water turns clear to get rid of the starch.
- Add the rinsed sabudana into a bowl, add the 1 cup of water and let it soak overnight.
- Next day drain the sabudana for any leftover water, after absorbing the water.
- To check whether sabudana is ready to cook, simply press the sabudana with your fingers, it should smash easily.
- Now heat oil in the pan on a medium flame.
- Add cumin seeds to the hot oil and let them crackle for few seconds.
- Clean peel and dice potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add the diced potatoes and cook for 3 to 4 mins and stir often until potatoes are almost cooked.
- Now add the peanuts and saute for another 3 to 4 mins.
- Add green chillies, curry leaves and cook for few more mins.
- Add the drained sabudana into the pan along with salt and sugar and mix it well.
- Cook for few more mins until sabudana turns semi-transparent by stirring once or twice.
- Do not cook the sabudana for a long time, it will end up sticky sabudana khichdi recipe.
- Remove the pan from heat and add lemon juice and freshly chopped coriander and toss them to mix well.
- Serve hot Sabudana Khichdi, accompanying with chilled yoghurt.
Nutrition Facts for Sabudana Khichdi:
Calories 279 kcal | Carbohydrates 63 g | Protein 2 g | Fat 12 g | Saturated Fat 1 g | Sodium 765 mg | Potassium 72 mg | Fiber 6 g | Sugar 1 g | Vitamin A 115 IU | Vitamin C 63.5 mg | Calcium 23 mg | Iron 0.7 mg.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.