Before we get started with How to make Pulissery Recipe/Moru Curry Lets get to know the Pulissery meaning and what is it.
Pulissery is a traditional and authentic Kerala style buttermilk curry recipe also known as Moru curry.
It’s a very easy and simple curry recipe to prepare, and you can make it more simple by making Pulissery without vegetables or pulissery recipe without coconut. Where you can only use diluted yoghurt and spices to make the pulissery curry.
This is a simple yoghurt based curry where turmeric plays a role to give out the extraordinary colour and fenugreek powder adds the flavour to the pulissery curry.
Wherein both the spices have got there own health benefits which are used in Indian cooking.
Pulissery recipe/Moru curry is most served with rice for lunch or dinner along with other side dishes.
It is also a most important recipe for a Kerala feast known as sadhya, sadhya is a feast made for the most important and popular festival in Kerala which is known as Onam.
Pulissery recipe | moru curry is a important dish to make for Onam Sadhya.
If you are looking for more Kerala Specials & Onam Sadhya Recipes :
Check out :
- Kalan Recipe
- Olan Recipe
- Paal Payasam
- Thenga Choru
- Pineapple Pachadi
- Avial Curry
- Kadala Curry
- Kerala Rasam
- Kootu Curry Recipe
Variations Of Pulissery Recipe/Moru Curry :
There are many other variations of Pulissery recipe | Moru curry they are: mango Pulissery made using mangos, Pineapple Pulissery made using Pineapple, Vellarikka Pulissery made using vellarikka ( cucumber or khira ), Kumbalanga Pulissery recipe made from Kumbalanga ( ash gourd ), Beetroot Pulissery, Zucchini pulissery, pulissery with banana and many more variations.
How to make Pulissery Recipe/Moru Curry :
- Yoghurt – 1 cup
- Chopped Ash gourd or Pumpkin- 1 cup
- Garlic Cloves – 2 nos
- Shallots – 2 small
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chillies – 2 nos
- Red chilli powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Dry red chillies – 2 to 3 nos
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
Pulissery Recipe Step by Step process :
- Add grated coconut, garlic cloves, shallots, cumin seeds and green chillies into a blender and blend them to a fine paste. Keep the fine paste aside.
- Heat a pan on a low medium flame and add chopped ash gourd with a cup of water and cook, as the ash gourd cooks really fast make sure you don’t overcook it.
- Once the ash gourd cooks add the fine coconut paste with yoghurt and mix everything well.
- Cook it on medium flame and turn off the flame when the curry is just about to boil.
- Make sure yoghurt doesn’t boil more than a minute else it will start to cuddle.
- Heat coconut oil on a medium flame and add mustard seed and fenugreek seeds once the coconut oil is hot enough.
- Once they crackle add dry red chillies, and curry leaves.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Saute the ingredients until they turn golden and add the prepared Pulissery and stir everything well.
- Off the flame, once you get the right consistency and Pulissery is ready.
- Serve hot Pulissery Recipe with steam rice or boiled rice.