About Paal Payasam Recipe | Rice Kheer Recipe – Its a delicious, creamy, rice and milk pudding with cashews and raisins, paal payasam is one of the most popular south Indian dessert and a version of kheer made on various festivals and occasions like Onam Sadhya Recipes.
It is a very simple recipe to make with richness of nuts and goodness in milk. It is often offered to god as prasadam in various temples across the country.
There are many variations of paal payasam recipe like Semiya paal payasam recipe, Jaggery paal payasam, coconut payasam, moong dal payasam, Paal Payasam with milkmaid and many other variations.
But the recipe sharing today is an easiest and simplest recipe out of them. Only four ingredients go in the paal payasam recipe- Rice, milk, sugar and ghee. With luscious creamy layer with nuts, you just don’t need a reason to make this.
The combination of rice, milk, sugar and ghee gives you such a good flavour & taste that you don’t even feel to add any of the dry fruits or flavourings. But if you want you can add the following optional ingredients to paal payasam recipe.
- Cardamom powder
- Nutmeg powder
If you are looking for more Kerala Specials & Onam Sadhya Recipes :
Check out :
- Kalan Recipe
- Olan Recipe
- Thenga Choru
- Pineapple Pachadi
- Avial Curry
- Kadala Curry
- Kerala Rasam
- Kootu Curry Recipe
Method of cooking:
The method of cooking this paal payasam recipe is a slow cooking method. Cooking on slow simmer method gives the rich taste to the payasam. You can make paal payasam in pressure cooker too. I don’t prefer to cook in a pressure cooker as it creates the mess and some times overcooks the paal payasam and turns out mushy.
Serve Paal payasam hot or cold as a sweet or after meal dessert.
Paal Payasam Recipe | Rice Kheer Recipe:
- Basmati rice or Regular raw rice ( Sona Masoori) – 1 cup
- Full cream milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – as required
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Nutmeg powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Saffron – few sprigs
- Almonds – 5 to 6 nos
- Cashews – 5 to 6 nos
- Pistachios – 5 to 6 nos
- Raisins – 5 to 6 nos
How to make Paal Payasam Recipe | Rice Kheer Recipe step by step Process:
- Heat a tablespoon of ghee in a thick bottom pan and roast the dry fruits until they turn golden and aromatic. Remove and set it aside in a plate.
- Add a tablespoon of ghee in the same pan and add Basmati or regular Sona Masoori rice and saute it for few seconds on low medium flame till you get a nice fragrant aroma from the rice. do not let the rice turn brown.
- Now add pre-boiled milk into the rice and stir it well.
- Bring the milk to boil on low medium flame. Stir it occasionally while the milk is getting heated up, and do not let the bottom of the milk to get scorched.
- After the milk starts to boil, continue to cook it on simmer till the rice grains are cooked.
- For the quick-cooking cover, it with a lid and make sure to remove the lid when the milk starts to froth up.
- Small tip cover the pan with a lid in such a way, so that some of the steam can escape.
- Once the rice grains are cooked well add the sugar as required, stir well to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the roasted dry fruits, Cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and Simmer for further 8 to 10 mins till the milk has reduced and the payasam has thickened and to get the right consistency.
- Serve Paal Payasam garnished with saffron, rose patels. You can serve it hot or cold. Refrigrate it if you like a cold paal payasam.
Calories 355 kcal | Carbohydrates 43 g | Protein 10 g | Fat 15 g | Saturated Fat 8 g | Cholesterol 42 mg | Sodium 138 mg | Potassium 450 mg | Sugar 32 g | Vitamin A 675 IU | Calcium 381 mg | Iron 0.2 mg.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.