Medu Vada/easy vada recipe/garelu- learn how to make crispy and delicious medu vada/easy vada recipe/garelu at home. Medu Vada is round disc-shaped fritters.
It’s one of the popular south Indian Breakfast & snack.
Its a most commonly made traditional south Indian homes and also served in hotels & tiffin centres.
What is Vada?
Vada is made from lentils crispy deep-fried savoury,
The deep-fried small portions of the batter usually made from soaked & ground urad dal (Skinned black gram) or chana dal (Bengal gram).
What is Medu Vada?
Medu Vada is doughnut-shaped round south Indian breakfast fritters made urad dal, spices, curry leaves are called medu vada in Kannada, medu vada in Tamil and garelu in Telugu.
Medu vada is a most common dish made during festivals like varalakshmi vratam, Gouri puja, Diwali and Durga Navaratri and offered to deities.
Vadas are made using onions, ginger, pepper and chillies etc, and can be customized according to your taste.
How to make Medu Vada at Home?
Medu Vada Ingredients:
- Urad dal – 1 cup (skinned black gram)
- Salt as necessary
- Water as necessary
- Onions – 2 nos chopped
- Green Chillies – 3 nos chopped
- Crushed Black pepper 1/2 teaspoon
- curry leaves 1 sprig
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon finely chopped
- oil to deep fry
Preparation of Medu Vada Batter
- Wash Urad dal in water and soak in a lot of water for 5 hours.
- Completely drain the water and transfer to a grinder jar or to a wet grinder if u use one.
- Add salt and water as necessary and grind it to a smooth batter.
- sprinkle water whenever needed and grind.
- Continue to grind to a thick batter till the batter looks fluffy, smooth and white.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl and aerate the batter by beating it with your hand for a minute.
- you can also use a whisk or a rubber spatula, I prefer to use a hand.
- To get a fluffy medu vada batter, aerate the batter properly.
- To check simply drop a small portion of batter in water, well-aerated batter floats.
- If it doesn’t float it means the batter is runny or not aerated well.
- Now add Cumin, ginger, curry leaves pepper, green chillies & onions and mix everything well.
How to make Medu Vada/easy vada recipe/garelu
- Pour & heat oil in a heavy Kadai or a pan on a medium flame till hot enough.
- To check if the oil is hot drop a small amount of batter if the oil is hot the batter rises.
- Now moisten your four fingers by dipping in water. Or you can use a greased sheet as well.
- Take care not to use too much water to moisten your fingers, any excess water droplets in the oil can cause hot splashes of oil.
- Take Small portions of batter and shape to a ball and flatten with the thumb.
- Dip your thumb in water and make a hole in the centre.
- Slide the Vada into the hot oil.
- Fry the vada till they turn golden on either side.
- Remove vada to a steel colander let them drip if any excess oil.
- Serve Hot Medu Vada With Coconut Chutney and Tiffin Sambar.
- If your vadas turn hard which means dal not soaked for 5 hours according to the instructions, didn’t grind the batter well, didn’t aerate the batter well.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
You may also like:
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share