Makhana Kheer Recipe | Low Fat Makhana Kheer Recipe – Phool Makhana Kheer is a dessert which is often made during vrat festivals like Navratri, Mahashivratri or Ekadasi.
This creamy makhana kheer is an Indian delicacy made using fox nuts, milk, sugar and dry fruits. You can also make Makhana Kheer with Jaggery or you can make Makhana Kheer with Milkmaid.
It is a delicious dessert made of milk simmered until it turns thick and creamy with foxnuts, which is then flavoured with cardamom, saffron, almonds and pistachios. So no more compromises while fasting for Navratri.
This Makhana Kheer recipe is a special one, for those who are fasting in the festival season of Navratri who are on a low-fat diet. This is a going to be a perfect dessert to indulge as it serves both.
Serve this easy Makhana Kheer recipe to guests, before or after dinner or make it as prasad for the Navratri Puja.
If you are looking for more Navratri Vrat Recipes:
Check out :
- Sabudana Khichdi
- Kuttu Ka Dosa
- Aloo Ki Kadhi
- Singhare Atta Ka Samosa
- Arbi Kofta
- Chawal Dhokla
- Makhana Kheer
- Navratri Special Lassi
Makhane Ki Kheer Benefits:
- These makhanas are low in cholesterol, fat and sodium. which makes them an ideal snack to satiate those in-between meal hunger pangs.
- It’s rich in Calcium, which you can make makhana kheer recipe for babies to keep up their daily calcium need.
- Makhana is good for pregnant women, just like walnuts, the high nutrients contained in phool makhana.
- They are gluten free, rich in proteins, iron and carbohydrates.
- It has anti- inflammatory and anti-ageing properties. and there are many more benefits.
Makhana Kheer Recipe:
Ingredients of low fat Makhana Kheer:
- Makhana ( foxnuts ) – 1 cup
- Milk – 2 cups
- Green cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cashews – 10 to 12 no’s
- Chopped Pistachios – 8 to 10 no’s
- Sugar – 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Saffron Strands – 1 pinch
- Ghee – 2 to 3 teaspoons
How to make Makhana Kheer Recipe step by step process:
Roasting Makhana and Cashews:
- Heat 2 to 3 teaspoons of ghee in a pan on a medium flame.
- Add the Phool Makhana, cashews and pistachios to the hot ghee.
- Roast them in the ghee until the makhana becomes crunchy.
- Even the cashews will also become golden, stir often while roasting to avoid burning them.
- Once they turn golden remove them in a plate and keep it aside.
Making Makhana Kheer Recipe:
- Take a saucepan or a thick bottomed pan and heat 2 cups of milk on a medium flame.
- Stir occasionally at intervals so that the milk doesn’t scorch from the bottom.
- Bring the milk to boiling point.
- Meanwhile, milk is getting heated up, keep 1/3 cup roasted makhana aside and add the remaining makhana to a blender.
- Along with makhana add cardamom seeds from cardamom pods and pinch of saffron strands.
- Grind them to a fine powder and keep it aside.
- Once the milk comes to boil, add 3 to 4 tablespoons of sugar or according to your taste.
- Now add the ground makhana powder and the roasted makhanas and stir and mix everything well.
- Simmer until the makhana softens and the milk thickens and cook for 9 to 10 mins.
- Scrape the milk solids from the sides and add it to the milk.
- Now add the roasted golden cashews and pistachios and stir.
- Simmer the Makhana kheer for a min more.
- Serve hot or warm or chilled Makhana Kheer. If you are chilling, the kheer’s consistency thickens a bit more but tastes really delicious.
Calories 342 kcal | Fat 19 g | Saturated fat 6 g | Cholesterol 19 mg | Sodium 9 mg | Potassium 532 mg | Carbohydrates 38 g | Fiber 3 g | Sugar 14 g | Protein 8 g | Vitamin A 45 IU | Vitamin C 3 mg | Iron 2 mg.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.