Before we get started with Kalan Recipe|Kurukku Kalan Recipe | Kerala Onam Sadhya Kalan Curry Let’s get to know what is it.
What is Kalan Curry?
It is traditional and flavourful Kerala cuisine delicacy Made with Yam, coconut, raw banana and yoghurt. It’s a special dish made for Onam Sadhya feast and served as a side dish with hot steamed rice or boiled brown rice. It is a very easy and simple recipe to make and can be prepared in minutes for lunch or dinner.
Kerala cuisine is known for its rice curries, which are cooked from locally grown vegetables and coconuts.
There is one more simple recipe which is Kurukku Kalan Curry made from raw banana and elephant yam.
It is generally cooked on a special occasion like Onam sadhya feast or you can also prepare it for regular day lunch.
The recipe shared can be made with locally grown vegetables like yam and plantain, the addition of peppers makes it unique and flavourful. The gravy is thicker you can serve it with rice or as a side dish.
Kalan Curry malayalam recipe can be stored minimum 4-5 days in the refrigerator and it remains fresh.
It may thicken as time passes, but you can bring to the right consistency by adding water.
If you are looking for more Kerala Onam Sadhya Specials :
Check out :
- Olan Recipe
- Paal Payasam
- Thenga Choru
- Pineapple Pachadi
- Avial Curry
- Kadala Curry
- Kerala Rasam
- Kootu Curry Recipe
Kalan Recipe|Kurukku Kalan Recipe:
for masala paste:
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Chillies – 1 to 2 nos
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Diced raw plantain ( Raw banana) – 1 no
- Suran cubes ( elephant yam ) – 1 cup
- Slit green chillies – 1 to 2 nos
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Grounded pepper powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Water – 2 cups
- Fenugreek Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt as required
- Yoghurt – 1 cup
- Coconut Oil – 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Dry Red chillies – 2 nos
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
KALAN RECIPE|KURUKKU KALAN RECIPE Step by Step Process:
- First, remove the skin of raw plantain and dice it to 1/2 or 1-inch cubes.
- And also do the same with the suran dice them into 1/2 or 1-inch cubes.
- Take a bowl and add both raw plantain and suran along with Chillies, curry leaves, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, pepper powder.
- Now add water to it and boil all the ingredients for 10 mins.
- Once plantain and suran are half cooks, add fenugreek powder and required salt.
- Again cover and boil it until the vegetables are cooks completely.
- Meanwhile make the coconut masala paste by grinding grated coconut, chilli, cumin seeds and water and make a thick paste.
- Transfer the coconut masala paste into the boiled vegetables, mix well and boil it until the raw smell of the coconut disappears.
- Now turn off the flame, add a cup of whisked yoghurt and mix everything well.
- Mix everything well until the curry gets smooth and silky consistency.
- Coconut oil plays a key role in Kerala cuisine, most of the dishes are prepared using coconut oil.
- Heat coconut oil in a Kadai on a medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves in the oil.
- Temper them and transfer the tempering and mix everything well.
- Kalan recipe | Kurukku Kalan recipe is ready to serve with steamed rice or boiled brown rice on Onam Sadhya.
Tips to make Kurukku Kalan Recipe:
- It’s very easy and simple to make kurukku Kalan recipe, Firstly, while grounding the coconut masala make it a fine paste. It supposes to be coarse and semi-liquid before adding it to the yoghurt.
- This recipe has got both green chillies and pepper it’s going to be spicy and hot. Reduce the green chillies and pepper quantity if you are a medium spice eater.
- Make sure you whisk the yoghurt well before adding it to the curry if not there is a chance of cuddling.