Before we start with How to make Kadala Curry Let get to know what is it.
This is an authentic Malabar curry, Kadala means chickpeas, Kadala Curry recipe is made with black chickpeas and array of spices from Kerala Cuisine. Serve Kadala Curry for puttu, Appam, Idiyappam, and rice.
If you are wondering what is puttu, it is a steamed rice and coconut cakes. Puttu with Kadala Curry is a really good combination for a traditional and popular Breakfast in Kerala.
Onam Sadhya is a feast which is incomplete without Kadala Curry in the list of Onam Sadhya Dishes.
If you are looking for more Kerala Specials & Onam Sadhya Recipes :
Check out :
- Kalan Recipe
- Olan Recipe
- Paal Payasam
- Pulissery Recipe
- Thenga Choru
- Pineapple Pachadi
- Kerala Rasam
- Kootu Curry Recipe
This recipe calls for Kadala Curry Kerala Garam masala or spice blend. This spice blend is added to curries. As this blend is not that easily available, I made a small amount of spice blend just for the curry.
There are many other variations to make, Ranging from gravy to a semi-dry curry. Some variations make Kadala Curry with coconut milk and some of them make Kerala Kadala Curry Recipe without coconut.
How Healthy is Kadala Curry?
As it is Vegetarian and gluten-free it’s very healthy. You can also make a non-veg version of it “Varutharacha Kadala Curry” (meat-based curry). Black chickpeas being a good source of proteins, This curry is very nutritious and Healthy like many South Indian curries and gravies.
You can serve spicy Kadala Curry for appam, Idiyappam, Puttu or with steamed rice, chapatis or rotis and poori.
Kadala Curry Kerala Style with coconut:
- Black Chickpeas – 3/4 cup
- Water for soaking and pressure cooking – 4 cups
For Garam Masala
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- CInnamon – 2 to 3 sticks
- Cloves – 2 to 3 nos
- Mace – 2 to 3 strands
- Grated nutmeg – 1/4 teaspoon
For coconut paste
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- water as required
- Chopped shallots – 1/2 cup
- Green chillies chopped – 2 nos
- Chopped Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Coconut oil – 2 tablespoons
- Water as required
How to make Kadala Curry step by step Process:
Pressure cooking chickpeas:
- Take black chickpeas into a bowl clean, rinse and soak the chickpeas in 2 cups of water for 9 hours or overnight.
- Next day remove the soaked water and rinse the chickpeas under running water and drain any excess water.
- Add Chickpeas into a pressure cooker and add 2 cups of rest water and add salt.
- Stir and pressure cook the chickpeas for 10 to 15 whistles until tender and cooked.
- Meanwhile, we will prepare coconut paste and Kerala garam masala.
- Add grated coconut in a grinder and add 1/4 cup of water.
- Grind it to a smooth coconut paste and keep it aside.
Kerala Garam Masala
- Heat a pan on a medium flame and add fennel seeds, 2 to 3 strands of mace, cinnamon, cloves, grated nutmeg.
- Dry roast all these following spices till they turn aromatic.
- Pound the dry roasted spices in a small grinding jar to a fine powder.
Easy Kadala Curry recipe:
- Heat coconut oil in a pan on a medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds and let them splatter.
- Now add chopped shallots, stir and saute for a minute.
- Add freshly chopped ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and saute until light golden brown.
- Then add red chilli powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder and the Kerala Garam masala.
- Stir and mix all the masala very well and saute for a minute on a low flame.
- Now add the coconut paste which kept ready and stir all the ingredients well.
- Stir and saute all the ingredients well for 4 to 5 mins until the raw coconut smell goes off.
- Then add the pressure cooked black chickpeas or Kadala and stir very well.
- For the gravy add 1 & 1/2 cup of water and season with required salt and stir it well.
- Let the curry come to boil and the gravy reduces a bit. You should let the chickpeas and the flavours to blend.
- Serve hot Kadala Curry with Puttu, Appam, Idiyappam or steamed rice.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.