Before we get started with How to make Tomato Dal|Tomato Pappu Recipe Let’s get to know, What is it and where is it from.
What is Tomato Dal?
Dal is Staple in Indian homes. It is also know as Tomato Pappu in telugu Language. Tomato Dal or Tomato Pappu recipe is inspired from Andhra Cuisine Know for its spicy flavours.
The Tomato Dal recipe which am going to share today is neither spicy nor hot, Its has the tangy and the flavours of tomatoes. Its the Best had with steamed rice and Ghee.
Tomato Dal or Tomato Pappu is served with Steamed rice, sliced onions and mango pickle this is going to be a great combination with some ghee. This can also be served with Rotis.
With the recipe which am going to share you can also make tons of different types of pappu recipes by simply adding your favorite veggies or even leafy greens.
Tomato Dal recipe is a super simple to make, as all the ingredients are simply pressured cooked and then tempered.
Tomato Dal is Usually made with only using toor dal, but you can also add some portion of mondal dal to enhance the flavour. But today am going to share a simple Tomato dal Recipe.
If you are looking for more Main Course recipe:
How to make Tomato Dal|Tomato Pappu Recipe
Tomato Dal Recipe Ingredients:
- Split Pigeon Peas(Toor dal or kandi pappu) – 1/2 cup
- Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chopped medium sized Onion – 1 no
- Curry leaves – 10 leaves
- Slit Green chillies – 2 to 3 nos
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Tomatoes – 2 medium sized
- Garlic cloves – 5 to 6 nos
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt as required
- Water for pressure cooking
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO DAL|TOMATO PAPPU RECIPE Step by Step:
Soaking Toor dal:
- Add toor dal to a bowl and rinse the dal using water. Rinse it at least 2 times and make sure the dal is clean.
- After rinsing the dal, add some fresh water to the dal and soak it for 15 to 20 mins.
Pressure Cooking Dal:
- Drain the water from the bowl and add the dal to a pressure cooker.
- Add 1 cup of water, turmeric powder, tomato wedges and pressure cook it on medium flame till 3 whistles.
- Meanwhile chop onions, slit green chillies.
- Switch Off the flame and let the cookers pressure comes down, then open the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Add salt as required and mash the dal to slightly smooth to suit your taste.
- The consistency of the dal should be too runny or too thick, if needed any more water simply add the water.
Tempering the Tomato Dal :
- Heat a pan on a medium flame with some ghee or oil.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Once they splutter, add dry red chillies, garlic cloves, curry leaves and saute till crispy.
- Add slit green chillies, chopped onions and saute them till they turn golden.
- Now add ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt if needed and stir all the ingredients well.
- Pour the mashed dal into the tempering and mix it well and do not cook further.
- Add freshly chopped coriander to dal.
- Serve the Tomato Dal|Tomato Pappu with hot steamed rice, sliced onions, ghee and mago pickle.
- Even you can serve papads as a side with the rice and dal.
Calories 305 kcal | Carbohydrates 35 g | Protein 12 g | Fat 12 g | Saturated Fat 7 g | Cholesterol 25 mg | Sodium 32 mg | Potassium 835 mg | Fiber 8 g | Sugar 5 g | Vitamin A 450 IU | Vitamin C 50 .2 | Calcium 73 mg | Iron 3.5 mg|.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.