Thalassery Biryani Recipe – Is originated from the Malabar region of Kerala which can also be called Malabar Biryani, which is quite popular for its unique aroma and taste.
The aroma and taste come from the unusual variety of rice called Jeerakasala, wherein other kinds of popular biryanis are made using basmati rice.
But Thalassery biryani Recipe is made using premium quality short grain rice which is also known as Kaima rice or biryani rice in Kerala.
Not only the rice, even the biryani masala made from a unique blend of Kerala spices, which makes the Thalassery Biryani the most amazing and flavorful biryani.
A cup of Ghee is used to make this Thalassery Chicken Biryani Recipe which gives the biryani a wonderful taste, texture and aroma to the Biryani.
How to Make Thalassery Biryani Recipe:
For Thalassery Biryani Masala Recipe:
- Star Anise – 1 to 2 nos
- Green Cardamom – 4 nos ( elaiche )
- Cloves – 4 to 5 nos ( laung )
- Cinnamon Sticks – 2 inch
- Nutmeg flower – 2 strands
- Grated Nutmeg – just a pinch
- Shahi Jeera – 1/2 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon (saunf )
- Red Chilli – 1 no
- Peppercorns – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee – 4 tablespoons
- Cashew nuts – 100 g
- Raisins – 2 tablespoons
- Fried onions – 3/4 cup
- Sliced onions – 1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic & chili paste – 2 tablespoons
- Cleaned and cut chicken – 1/2 kg
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 cup
- Chopped tomatoes – 1/2 cup
- Salt as necessary
- Yoghurt – 2 tablespoons
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
For Biryani Rice:
- Jeerakasala rice – 2 cups
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Star anise – 2 nos
- Green Cardamom – 4 nos
- Cloves – 4 to 5 nos
- Cinnamon sticks – 1 no
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt as necessary
- Hot water – 4 cup
For Layering rice:
- Kerala Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chopped Mint leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Rose water – 1/2 teaspoon
Pre Preparation of Thalassery biryani recipe:
- First, clean the spices and blend them together into a fine powder.
- Heat Ghee in biryani pot and fry them until light golden brown, Now add raisins.
- Once they turn plump, remove them to a plate.
- Along with cashews, raisins we will use fried onions for garnishing.
Making of Thalassery Biryani Recipe:
- Now add Sliced onions for gravy in the remaining ghee and fry until golden.
- Add the ground ginger, garlic and green chilli paste, We are not gonna use red chilli powder in this recipe.
- The spice comes from green chilli paste alone, so make sure you add enough.
- Saute everything well, until you get a nice aroma.
- Now add cleaned cut chicken and saute for 4 to 5 mins.
- Add turmeric powder and thalassery biryani masala powder as we made it before and kept aside.
- Saute chicken for 4 to 5 mins on low flame. cover and cook for another 2 to 3 mins until the chicken is tenderly cooked.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, salt and yoghurt and saute for 2 mins more.
- Switch over a low flame and cook covered until chicken is fully tenderly cooked.
- stir it occasionally to prevent from sticking to the bottom or burning.
- The consistency of the chicken gravy should be thick.
- While the chicken is tenderly cooked, let us go ahead with making the biryani rice.
How to make Thalassery Biryani rice:
- Take rice in a vessel and wash the rice in the water for a few mins and drain it in a colander.
- If you are using Jeerakasala rice, this rice doesn’t need to be washed and drained, you can directly use the rice.
- Heat ghee in a pot, add and sauté the spices.
- Once the spices are sautéed, add the rice and sauté it for 2 to 3mins. And add salt.
- Now add hot water. and stir gently.
- Make sure you don’t add cold water as it turns the rice sticky.
- Continue to cover and cook on a low medium flame until the rice absorbs all the water and turns dry.
- If the rice is undercooked sprinkle some water and continue to cook.
- By then chicken would be completely cooked. Add chopped mint and coriander leaves and level the chicken properly to layer the rice.
Layering Malabar Chicken Biryani:
- Start layering the first level of the rice and sprinkle Garam masala, min leaves and fried onions.
- Layer the second rice layer on top of it and sprinkle chopped coriander, mint leaves, fried onions, cashews and raisins.
- Add ghee and rose water and seal the pot with a heavy lid or cover it with silver foil and close it with lid and put something heavy on top of the lid.
- Place a tawa on the stovetop and heat it, when it turns very hot, place this biryani pot over the tawa and cook for more than 12 to 15 mins.
- Once cooked let the biryani to rest for a while and check the bottom, the moisture in the gravy or masala would be evaporated. Thalassery Biryani is ready to serve.
- Serve hot Malabar Biryani with raita. Make sure to serve each portion gets an equal amount of the masala and biryani rice.
Calories 1260 | Fat 57 g | Saturated fat 24 g | Cholesterol 189 mg | Sodium 248 mg | Potassium 1808mg | Carbohydrates 136 g | fiber 9 g | sugar 7 g | Protein 50 g | Vitamin A 1800 IU | Vitamin C 147 mg | Calcium 393 mg | Iron 14 mg.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.