Before we get started with How to make Poha/Poha recipe lets get to know what is Poha first.
What is Poha?
Basically, Poha is a tasty, quick Indian breakfast made with flattened rice, spices, peanuts and onions.
Poha is a Western Indian breakfast recipe but the taste and making made it a popular dish especially north and west side of India.
Am a great fan of poha, my mom used to make it often in my school days has it is very easy to make and does not consume a lot of time to make it.
Poha is Filling and very nutritious breakfast as flattened rice is tampered in spices and onions making it a perfect way to start your day.
It is not only a famous breakfast in maharashtra and gujarat but also in other regions of India.
Poha is not only eaten as a breakfast but also as a snack and a quick dinner. It is usually served without any side dish or accompaniment but garnished and topped with raw onions, sev or freshly grated coconut.
Traditionally in maharashtra they make Kanda batata poha as their breakfast. Kanda refers to onions and batata refers to potato.
I will teach you how to make poha/poha recipe just in 20 mins and How to make poha soft for long time.
If you are looking for more Breakfast Recipes
Check out :
How to make Poha/Poha Recipe:
Poha Recipe Ingredients:
- Poha (Flattened rice) – 1 1/2 cup
- Slice onions – 1 medium-sized
- Slit green chillies – 3 to 4 nos
- Fresh curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves – 1 small bunch
- oil – 2 tablespoons
- Peanuts – 3 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt as necessary
- sugar as necessary
- Lemon juice as necessary
HOW TO MAKE POHA/POHA RECIPE Step by step:
- Take a thick or a medium flake poha to make a non-sticky poha, If you use thin poha it will end up mushy poha.
- Clean and rinse the poha well a few times in a colander or a bowl and strain the extra water and set it aside.
- Do not rinse them too many times it may turn your poha mushy so, just rinse them only once.
- Poha absorbs water and softens in about 5 to 7 mins, make sure to check the poha if any lumps and break them if any.
- If they don’t turn soft then simply sprinkle some water on poha and set it aside to soften.
- Meanwhile, Slice onions, slit green chillies, finely chopped coriander.
- Take a frying pan and fry the peanuts to golden and crunchy. by frying them peanuts remain crunchy.
- In the same pan add 2 tablespoons of oil and add mustard and cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Now add curry leaves, sliced onions and slit green chillies.
- Saute the onions until they turn transparent.
- Once onions turn transparent add turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Now add poha and mix it well.
- Cover and cook it on a low flame and stir in between to prevent from burning.
- Sprinkle some water, only if the poha is little dry,
- when cooked it should be soft, not mushy.
- Add salt as necessary, roasted peanuts and sprinkle finely chopped coriander.
- Once cooked take it off the flame, taste and add more salt if needed and Lemon juice and keep it covered until you serve.
- Serve poha garnished with coriander leaves, roasted peanuts, you can also top with sev or freshly grated coconut.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.