Before we get started with How to make PaniPuri / Pani Puri Recipe let’s get to know what is Pani Puri.
What is Pani Puri?
Pani Puri is one of my favourite street chat snacks, It’s a popular Chat snack all over India. It has got many other different names according to the regions in India, they are Golgappa, Pani puri, Puchka and Gupchup.
Pani is a Hindi word which means water, puri means deep-fried crisp dough balls which are hollow from inside.
Basically, Pani puri is a crisp dough ball which is hollow and stuffed with white chickpeas or boiled potato stuffing and drenched in sweet, tangy and spicy water and a hint of freshly chopped onions are added and served.
There is no detailed information on who invented pani puri or how it came into existence. But its one of the most popular street foods of india.
If you are a foodie, there are few more street food recipes which you can easily make at home:
How to make PaniPuri Puri Recipe:
Ingredients to make Panipuri Puri Recipe:
- Semolina or rava – 1 cup
- Baking soda – 1/8 teaspoon
- All-purpose flour (maida) – 1 tablespoon
- Water as required
- Salt to taste
- Oil as necessary
PaniPuri Puri Recipe Step by Step Process :
- Take unroasted semolina or rava in a mixing bowl and add 1 teaspoon oil, baking soda, salt. Mix all the ingredients very well using your fingers.
- Now add tablespoon all-purpose flour to the mixture and mix everything well again.
- By adding little by little water start mixing and kneading the dough, It absorbs a lot of water so keep adding enough water little by little and knead the dough.
- Kneading a perfect dough is very important to get perfect Panipuri texture, The dough shouldn’t be soft or hard.
- If your dough is soft add little semolina or rava and knead the dough again.
- If it is hard then add little more water to the dough and knead to get a perfect dough.
- Gluten strands should form to get the structure and shape of puris, and the correct texture of the dough will help puris to stay crisp for long.
- Cover the dough using a moist muslin cloth and let it rest for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins of resting, knead the dough again.
Rolling Puri :
- Now divide the dough into small portion dough balls and press them flat using your palm.
- Start to spread the dough balls like rotis using a rolling pin.
- Cut the spread roti into small discs using a cookie cutter or a small bowl.
- Remove and collect the edges and knead them lightly and make it dough and make puris in the same way.
- Make all puris and keep them covered in the muslin cloth and simultaneously fry the puris.
Frying Puris :
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan on a medium flame. Oil should be hot enough to fry puris, to check simply drop a small dough ball into the oil, it should rise on the oil if it is hot.
- Slide puri in the oil once it’s hot enough.
- Flip the puris using a slotted spatula, once the puri puffed make sure the puris are cooked till golden.
- Remove the puris to a colander to drain the excess oil from it.
- They are ready to serve.
Making pani puri Filling recipe :
- Potatoes – 2 to 3 medium
- Onions – 1 small optional
- Freshly chopped coriander – 1 tablespoon
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chat masala – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt as required
Making Pani Puri filling recipe :
- Boil the potatoes till they are completely cooked.
- Peel the cooked potatoes and mash the potatoes using your hands.
- Finely chop the onions if using.
- Now in a bowl add mashed potatoes, coriander, cumin powder, red chilli powder, salt chat masala and mix all the ingredients very well and keep it aside.
- You can also use boiled white chickpeas.
making pani puri ka pani :
- Chopped mint leaves – 1 bunch
- Coriander leafs – 1 bunch
- Green Chillies – 1 to 2 nos
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Chaat masala – 1 teaspoon
- Black salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- water as required
Making Pani puri ka pani :
- To make Pani puri ka pani grind, Mint leaves, coriander, ginger and green chilli and add little water and grind it to a fine paste.
- Take 1/2 cup water in a bowl and add the grounded paste and mix well.
- Now add the rest ingredients like sugar, salt chat masala, cumin powder, lemon juice and black salt.
- Mix the water well and check the taste and add anything to alter the taste of the water.
- Pani puri water is ready to serve.
- You can also Chill the water in the refrigerator and use the water.
- By adding the ice in the water will dilute the water and the taste will differ.
HOW TO MAKE PANIPURI:
- Crack the top of the puri to make a hole in the puri using your thumb finger.
- Add the pani puri potato stuffing into the puri.
- Stir the pani puri water using a spatula to mix the water.
- Now Drench the Stuffed puri into the pani.
- Add finely chopped onions into the drenched panipuri and ready to eat.
- Enjoy the sweet, tangy and spicy pani puri.
- You can also add sweet tamarind sauce if you like.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.