Before Starting with How to make Paneer Biryani / Paneer biryani Home cooking Lets get to know what is it?
Paneer Biryani is an Indian dish made with paneer, basmati rice, spices & herbs. This paneer biryani is going to be unique, flavourful and delicious.
Basically, you call something as biryani it is most commonly made with meat, but the recipe which is shared is made using cottage cheese (paneer). If you are a fan of biryani and you are a vegetarian then you must try this recipe.
There are many other different kinds of vegetarian biryani available. Most of them use vegetables. Since am sharing a paneer biryani recipe which is cooked on dum, it turns out to be extremely flavourful & delicious.
This paneer dum biryani recipe is going to be different than any other paneer biryani recipe. I have just marinate the paneer cubes and layered with half cooked rice and then dum cooked. So we don’t have to prepare any gravy, The Paneer cubes do not become hard or dense as we aren’t cooking it twice.
I make this paneer biryani on occasions & Serve the hot paneer biryani with Mirchi Ka Salan and Raita.
If you are looking for more Main Course recipe:
How to make Paneer Biryani
Ingredients to make paneer biryani :
- Paneer Cubes – 250 grams
- Fresh Mint leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt as required
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Fried onions – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Roasted Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cloves powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee – 2 teaspoons
- Curd – 1 & 1/2 tablespoon
Biryani Rice Ingredients :
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Bay leaf – 2 to 3 leaves
- Star anise – 2 to 3 nos
- Cloves – 4 to 5 nos
- Whole Black pepper – 9 to 10 nos
- Cinnamon sticks – 3 to 4 nos
- Cardamom – 2 to 3 nos
- Mint leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Slit Green Chillies – 3 nos
- Water – 5 to 6 cups
- Basmati Rice – 1 kg
- Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Saffron – a pinch
- Milk – 1 tablespoon
- Roasted Cashew nuts – 50 grams
- Fried Onions – 1 tablespoon
How to make Paneer Biryani Step by Step Process :
We will start making the paneer biryani with soaking the basmati rice and marinating the paneer cubes So, let’s get started.
Marinating Paneer cubes:
- Before we start up with marinating we will wash, rinse and soak the basmati rice in a bowl and start with marination.
- When you buy paneer from the Supermarket its gonna be as a block so, we will start with cutting the paneer block into a 1-inch cube and rinse it in water.
- To the cut paneer cubes, we will add Freshly chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves, red chilli powder, salt, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, fried onions, coriander powder, roasted cumin powder, cinnamon powder, cloves powder, cardamom powder, pepper powder, some Ghee or oil and curd.
- Mix everything well gently and make sure you are not breaking the paneer pieces.
- After mixing everything well keep it aside for 15 to 20 mins.
Cooking biryani rice for paneer biryani :
- Take a hollow vessel, heat oil or ghee on a medium flame.
- To the hot oil add Cumin seeds, bay leaf, star anise, cloves, whole black pepper, cinnamon sticks, and cardamom and let them roast for a couple of mins.
- Now add slit green Chillies, chopped mint leaves and saute it for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add 5 to 6 cups of water and add a pinch of salt.
- Bring the water to boiling point and add soaked basmati rice and cook it for 5 to 10 mins.
- Stir occasionally and keep checking the rice till its half cooked.
- Once the rice is half cooked strain the rice into a colander, do not waste the rice water store it in a bowl.
- Now, let’s start with layering the biryani.
Layering the Biryani :
- Take a hollow vessel and add a layer of half-cooked biryani rice at the bottom, sprinkle some strained and stored rice water.
- Now add a layer of marinated paneer cubes spread it evenly and sprinkle some fried onions and roasted cashews.
- Then again make a layer of half-cooked basmati rice on top of a marinated paneer cubes.
- If you like multiple layers of marinated paneer and basmati rice you can make it, or simply make 3 layers by making bottom rice, then marinated paneer and rest all rice on top of marinated paneer.
- Once you are done layering, sprinkle fried onions, chopped coriander, roasted cashew nuts and 2 tablespoons of ghee on the top.
- In a small bowl take some milk and add saffron and mix it well.
- Pour the saffron mixed milk as uneven lines on top of the rice.
- Now seal the vessel using a silver foil or rolled dough with a lid and put the vessel on the tawa for dum and cook it for 10 to 15 mins on a medium flame.
- Once cooking is done, Serve the hot paneer biryani with Mirchi ka salan and Raita.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.