Olan Recipe|Onam Sadhya Recipes– Olan is a delicious curry made with white pumpkin ( ash gourd ), cowpeas ( chawli ) and coconut milk.
Its is a simple homely cook curry or a stew dish served during Onam Sadhya.
Olan is light and mild curry flavoured with coconut milk, curry leaves and cowpeas.
As Olan recipe with coconut milk, it can be pair very well with steam rice or boiled brown rice.
Ash gourd which is known as white pumpkin is used to make Olan, but you can even use yellow pumpkin instead. Cowpeas ( red lobia ) are used to make Olan curry, Black-eyed peas can be substituted to make Olan.
If you are looking for more Kerala Specials & Onam Sadhya Recipes :
Check out :
- Kalan Recipe
- Paal Payasam
- Thenga Choru
- Pineapple Pachadi
- Avial Curry
- Kadala Curry
- Kerala Rasam
- Kootu Curry Recipe
How to make Olan Recipe|Onam Sadhya Recipes:
For Pressure Cooking:
- Cowpeas – 1/3 cup
- Water – 1 & 1/2 cup
- Salt as required
For making Olan Recipe|Onam Sadhya Recipes:
- Diced ash gourd – 2 cups
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Slit green chillies – 3 to 4 nos
- Salt as required
- Water as required
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
- Coconut oil – 2 to 3 teaspoon
Olan Recipe|Onam Sadhya Recipes:
- Rinse cowpeas and soak them overnight. Drain and rinse the cowpeas again next day and drain the excess water.
- Pressure cook the soaked cowpeas with 2 litres of water, with a pinch of salt in a pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook the cowpeas on a medium flame for 3 to 4 whistles or 8 to 9 mins until the cowpeas are tenderly cooked.
- Once the pressure cooker settles open the lid and checks if the cowpeas cooked well and set them aside.
Cooking Ash gourd:
- Rinse peel and dice the ash gourd into 1-inch pieces, You can also use pumpkin, discard the seeds and pith. You will be needing 2 cups of diced ash gourd to make Olan recipe with pumpkin.
- Take a pan to add diced ash gourd with curry leaves, slit green chillies, and salt to taste.
- Now add a cup of water or you can also use thin coconut milk.
- Cover the pan using a lid and cook the ash gourd on a medium flame.
- Check the ash gourd whether its cooking and add extra water if required.
- After ash gourd is cooked tenderly, there will be some water remaining in the pan. make sure that it’s not a lot of water,
- You can also mash some ash gourd if you want to thicken the curry.
Making Olan Recipe|Onam Sadhya Recipes:
- Now add the pressure cooked cowpeas to the cooked ash gourd, do not add the stock of cowpeas.
- Now add thick coconut milk and cook it on a low flame gently for 5 mins, do not boil it.
- Off the flame and sprinkle a few curry leaves.
- And also add 2 to 3 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Mix everything well and cover it with a lid, let all the flavours infuse for 6 to 8 mins
- Serve Olan Curry with Steamed rice or boiled brown rice.
- Instead of cowpeas you also use black eyed peas, but do not overcook them.
- You can also use yellow pumpkin instead of white pumpkin, or you can also use both half and half.
- Do not overcook the ash gourd as they mite mash of while stirring the Olan curry.
Calories 765 kcal | Carbohydrates 50 g | Protein 20 g | Fat 57 g | Saturated Fat 50 g | Sodium 1085 mg | Potassium 1112 mg | Fiber 11 g | Sugar 8 g | Vitamin A 745IU | Vitamin C 420.5 mg | Calcium 285 mg | Iron 14.5 mg.