Before We Get How to make Idli / How to make Idli batter, first let’s find out what is Idli.
what is Idli or Idly ?
Idli or Idly is a type of savoury rice cake. Is the most popular Breakfast dish of whole south India, especially Tamilnadu and Tamils in Sri Lanka. The batter of idli consists of fermented black lentils and rice.
Is Idli Healthy?
- Idli is considered to be the healthiest food.
- Due to the way, it’s cooked, it is a fat-free breakfast.
- it is the most recommended breakfast by doctors to their patients.
- As it consists of nutrients of urad dal and rice.
- lentils are soaked overnight, blended and fermented which enhances the nutrients and they are still preserved as idli is steam cooked.
- This is what makes idli unique and suitable to all, even for senior citizens who have poor digestion.
Idli Made of?
- By using urad dal, skinned black gram and rice, as a result, we get a high protein and calcium values.
- Our body absorbs the proteins and calcium better & faster in the form of idli,
- As it is made from soaked, grounded, fermented and steamed in the idli cooker.
How to Make Healthy Idli?
I prefer to use urad dal or skinned black gram dal more and less rice or idli rava, you may think why more of dal and less of rice or rava because dals are high in protein and calcium which helps you to be healthy. Coming to the restaurants and hotels they use more rice or rava and less dal as the rice is less costly than lentils. Coming to the fermenting process dals contribute more towards fermentation than rice because dals have got more starch values than rice which helps in faster fermenting process and makes idly very soft and light.
How to make Idli Batter?
According to the Indian tradition, to make the idli batter light & fluffy Ground the idli batter in a Rubbu Rolu (stone mortar pestle) which helps the idli to be pillow-like soft idlis. But nowadays our life has become very busy most women prefer wet Grinder or blender as it is easy to handle and faster to prepare the idli batter.
Ingredients to make Soft Idli:
- Urad dal or skinned black gram – 1cup
- Idli rava or rice – ¾ cup
- Rock salt – ½ teaspoon
- Water 1 ½ cup
- Poha – 2 tablespoons to make soft idlis.
how to make idli / how to make dili batter
Step by Step Process:
- Take urad dal and idli rava in two different bowls.
- Wash them thoroughly until the water runs clear.
- Now soak them separately in a lot of water over the night or min for 6 hours.
- Soak The poha in water for 30 mins before the blending process.
How to make Idli / How to make the Idli Batter?
- Now drain the water from both the bowls.
- Add Dal, poha, rock salt and water in the blending jar. Keep some extra water aside as you may need while blending.
- blend all the ingredients till the batter is smooth, thick and frothy.
- Transfer the batter to a large bowl.
- Now drain off all the water from idli rava and make sure there is no excess water in it, if not your idli batter may end up runny instead of being thick.
- Now add the idli rava to the urad dal batter and mix well using your hands which helps the batter to ferment faster and better.
- Add some water if the batter is too thick. The batter should be in the right consistency not too thick or not too runny.
Fermenting Idli Batter:
- now store the batter in a warm place over the night and it ferments and rises double the quantity, remembers it may take more time to ferment depending upon the climatic conditions.
- The batter should rise and look soft & fluffy and check the taste the batter it shouldn’t be sour.
Steaming Process To make Idli:
- Now place your idli steamer or a pressure cooker with 1 and 1/2 cup of water on the high flame and bring the water to boil.
- Till the water gets to its boiling point, grease your idly moulds slightly, gently mix the idli batter so that aerated batter won’t become flat.
- Once the water starts bubbling and steamy, fill the moulds with the idli batter and place the stand in the steamer.
- Now cover the steamer with the lid and let the idli steam for 10 mins on the high flame.
- After 10 mins once the idli cooks turn off the steamer and wait for few mins until the extra steam goes out, now open the steamer and remove the idli stand
- Leave the idli stand aside to cool down for few mins.
- Once cooled, take the idlis off the moulds with the help of a spoon.
- Soft, fluffy and hot idlis are ready to serve.
How to Serve Idli?
- Serve Idli hot with a variety of chutneys.
- such as tender coconut chutney, ginger chutney, tomato chutney, peanuts chutney, split chickpeas chutney and hot sambar.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
You may also like:
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.