Before we get to know how to make idiyappam/idiyappam recipe let’s get to know what is idiyappam.
What is idiyappam?
- Idiyappam Is easy to make and very delicious South Indian Breakfast. It is also known as nool puttu is string hoppers, made from rice flour.
- Idiyappam, Appam, and Puttu are the most common breakfast in Kerala.
- This Idiyappam Recipe makes you smooth and soft idiyappam which goes very well with curry, kurma or any side dish of your choice.
How to eat Idiyappam?
- Idiyappam can be served with vegetable stew, veg kurma, Kadala curry and kids will enjoy Idiyappam with a combination of Thinned Coconut milk sweetened with jaggery or sugar.
If you are looking for more Breakfast Recipes
Check out :
How to make Idiyappam/Idiyappam Recipe
Kerala Idiyappam Recipe is made with rice flour which is also known as nool puttu or string hoppers. basically these are sevai or seviyan made with rice flour.
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- salt to taste
- oil – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh grated Coconut milk – 1/4 cup optional
- water for kneading and steaming
HOW TO MAKE IDIYAPPAM/IDIYAPPAM RECIPE:
Roasting Rice Flour:
- Start with roasting the rice flour in a Kadai or pan on low flame.
- Keep stirring the rice flour often while roasting for 5 mins, flour doesn’t need to become brown.
- Slightly roast the rice flour which helps to make soft idiyappam.
- Switch off the flame once you see the steam coming from the rice flour and remove it into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of water in the same Kadai which you roasted the rice flour.
- Add some salt and oil.
- let the water reach the boiling point, water comes to a rolling boil and bubbles appeared in the water then switch off the flame.
- Now add the hot water little by little to the roasted rice flour.
- mix well the roasted rice flour using a spatula or a spoon.
- keep on mixing the rice flour once the dough becomes warm, you can start kneading using your hands and make sure the dough is little warm while kneading.
- Knead it to a soft and smooth dough.
- if the dough looks dry sprinkle some warm water and knead.
- If it becomes sticky then add some more rice flour as necessary.
- Before we begin grease your idli moulds or a steamer pan with some oil and keep it ready.
- Make 3 to 4 small portions of the dough which fits in the Idiyappam Maker/murukku maker.
- Grease the maker with some oil and place the small portion of dough in it.
- Meanwhile, pouring hot water or bring the water to boil in an idli cooker and lower the flame.
- And make sure to cover the rested dough using a napkin do not let it the dough dry.
Steaming Cooking Idiyappam
- Now press the Idiyappam Maker/murukku maker on idli moulds in a circular motion to make idiyappam.
- While making idiyappam make sure the dough is warm.
- In this way Fill all the idli moulds.
- If you like coconut Sprinkle some grated coconut of each idiyappam.
- Place the idli pan in the idli cooker and cover it with a lid.
- Steam cook idiyappam on medium to high flame for 10 mins.
- Switch off the flame once they are cooked well and let them be inside the steamer for a few mins and open the cooker.
- Now remove the idiyappam from the moulds and serve right hot.
- Serve idiyappam with veg stew or veg korma or jaggery sweetened coconut milk.
Calories 54/ sodium 50 mgs/ potassium 16 mgs/carbohydrates 10 gm/iron 0.1 mg.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.