This is a detailed step by step guide for you to learn How to make dosa / How to make dosa Batter.No matter you are a beginner or an experienced cook. Now let’s learn about what is dosa?
What Is Dosa?
- It is a popular South Indian dish.
- a thin crepe made from rice and lentils batter,
- Soaked in water over the night in room temperature.
- In the start, people used to make dosa from only rice batter.
- After passing ages, people started adding urad dal and lentils for the taste and the texture.
- Dosas got its popularity from the rise of Udupi hotels, as they serve the best varietals of dosas- plain dosa, masala dosa, set dosa, and rava dosa.
- Dosas Are served hot with Coconut Chutney and Tiffin Sambar
How to make Dosa at Home?
Dosa is a simple recipe made by soaked and blended lentils (urad dal) and rice into a batter.
And batter is spread on a hot tawa or pan.
Is Dosa is a healthy Breakfast?
- Dosa is considered to be the healthiest breakfast that nourishes our body.
- It consists of nutrients of urad dal and rice.
- urad dal is high in protein & calcium, it gives a good start to our day.
- Idli and dosas are regular breakfast to make at home sometimes even for dinner.
Which is better to make the batter –
Wet grinder or a Blender?
- In Indian tradition, the batter made in Rubbu Rolu.
- You can use a wet grinder, my personal preference not to use as its time consuming to lift and clean the stones.
- The batter rises even it’s done in blender.
What kind of a rice suits for dosa making?
- There are many varieties of rice is available,
- Raw rice is best for dosas.
- Even the mix of raw & parboiled rice gives a good result depends mostly on the weather conditions.
How to make Dosa / How to make dosa batter:
Easy Dosa Recipe:
- urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Raw rice – 1 & 1/2 cup
- Chana Dal – 2 tablespoons
- fenugreek seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- poha – 2 tablespoons
- rock salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- First rinse urad dal, chana dal and methi seeds with water in a large bowl several times to remove the impurities and drain the water.
- Now rinse the rice for few times in a bowl and drain the water.
- Soak urad dal, chana dal, methi seeds in a bowl.
- Soak rice in a different bowl for 4 hours.
How to make Dosa Batter
- Now soak poha in water for 30 mins.
- Drain the water from urad dal, chana dal and methi, add soaked poha and water to the blending jar.
- You can add the salt depending upon the weather, in your region.
- If it is hot and humid don’t add the salt to the batter.
- add salt to the batter and make dosas.
- Blend the mixture to smooth and frothy consistency, add water as necessary as needed.
- The batter should be thick pouring consistency, not very runny.
- Keep the dal, methi and poha batter aside.
- Now drain the water completely from the rice and add it to the blending jar with 1/2 cup water.
- Blend the rice to smooth and thick pouring consistency batter not very runny.
- Now Take a large bowl and add urad dal and rice batter.
- Mix well using your clean hands.
- The warmness of your hand will help the batter to ferment.
- Make sure of the batter consistency it shouldn’t be too thick and too runny.
Fermenting Dosa Batter:
- Cover the bowl with the lid and place the bowl in a warm place overnight to ferment.
- It will take 6 to 12 hours depending upon the climatic conditions.
- If you are living in a cold region, you can use the oven to ferment the batter.
- To ferment the batter in the oven, you just need to preheat the oven for 10 mins at 60 C and turn off the oven. Place the bowl in the oven just by turning on the light of it.
- Well, Fermented dosa batter will rise and increase the quantity.
- The fermented batter should be frothy and bubbly.
- Stir the dosa batter to refrigerate it.
- The fermented batter becomes thick, add water if necessary.
- The consistency should be thick and little runny to spread the dosa.
- Transfer a portion of it into a small bowl to make dosas.
How to make Dosa?
- Let’s get started making dosas by greasing the dosa pan or a tawa with few drops of oil.
- This prevents the dosas to stick to the pan or tawa.
- Heat the pan too hot. to check just sprinkle some water on the pan and rub the pan with a clean piece of cloth.
- The hot pan will sizzle if it’s ready.
- Stir the batter and take a Round ladle full of dosa batter and pour on the centre of the hot pan.
- Spread the batter immediately from the centre in a circular motion to make a thin crepe.
- Add some oil or butter on the edges and cook it for a min on a medium flame. Dosa turns golden and crispy.
Taking Off the dosa and serving
- The edges of Dosa starts to leave the pan, it’s done.
- Now take dosa off the pan using a flat ladle.
- It is not necessary to cook the dosa on the other side.
- It’s necessary to cook on the other side if it is a thick dosa.
- Or if you wish to cook just flip the dosa and cook it.
- To make the next dosa Sprinkle some water on the pan and rub it with a clean cloth and pour the dosa batter.
- Serve hot dosas with Coconut Chutney and Tiffin sambar.
This is how to make dosa / how to make dosa batter. Did you try the recipe please comment below?
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
You may also like:
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.