Dal Makhani Recipe Instant pot – is a classic Indian Dish made from urad dal, kidney beans, butter and spices. It tastes best with garlic naan.
Its one of the most popular lentil dishes originated from Punjab region of India and Pakistan.
Dhal or Dal refers to lentils and Makhani refers to butter. Dal Makhani literally means buttery dal. This Punjabi Dal Makhani Recipe never fails to amaze people around. Am sure you would love how rich, creamy, flavorful and delicious it taste.
What is Dal Makhani ?
Dal Makhani is a very much popular Indian dish made by slow cooked black lentils & red kidney beans with spices, butter & cream.
Traditionally Dal Makhani is prepared by slow cooking lentils on wood or coal fire for hours together. This slow cooking for hours yield to creamy, thick and best tasting Dal Makhani Recipe.
making a good Dal Makhani Recipe is easy & needs a very few ingredients, but its gonna take time as the lentils need to slow-cooked.
Dal Makhani is an amazing dish to make for weekends, special occasions or for a special festive meal.
Dal Makhani Recipe tastes awful when served with Roti, garlic butter naan, tandoori roti, jeera rice or steamed basmati rice.
How to make Dal Makhani Recipe:
To Pressure cook:
- Whole black lentils ( Black Gram ) – 1 cup
- Rajma – 1/4 cup ( kidney beans )
- Water for pressure cooking 4 – 5 cups
- Butter unsalted – 3 tablespoons
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Finely chopped onion – 1 medium
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Tomato puree – 1 cup
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Red chilli powder – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 2 cups
- Kasuri methi – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cream – 1/4 cup
Whole Spices :
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Green cardamom – 2 nos
- Black cardamom – 1 no
If you are looking for more curry recipes then do check the below recipes.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS :
- Aloo Rasedaar Recipe.
- Tomato Dal.
- Tomato Rasam Recipe.
- Aloo Ki Kadhi.
- Dondakaya Pulusu.
- Butter Chicken Recipe.
- Chicken Tikka Masala.
- Aloo Rasedaar.
- Chicken Curry.
- Chicken Liver Curry.
How to Make Dal Makhani Recipe:
- Take a cup of whole black lentils and 1/4 cup of rajma (red kidney beans) to a vessel and rinse them thoroughly a few time under running water.
- Now drain the water and pour 3 to 4 cups of fresh water.
- Soak them overnight or at least 6 to 8 hours.
- To speed up this process you can pour boiling water and soak for 4 to 5 hours.
- Once they are soaked well, drain and pour 4 cups of fresh water and pressure cook on a medium flame for 10 whistles, which takes 30 to 45 mins.
- If you are using an instant pot pressure cook for 20 mins.
- If you are cooking in an instant pot add more water and cook until they become tender.
Checking if cooked well:
- Once the pressure is released naturally, open the lid and check if the dal is well cooked.
- Both rajma and urad dal have to be softened.
- Press rajma and few urad dal using your thumb and fore finger, they should get mashed very well easily.
- If they are under cooked, add half cup more water and cook for a little longer about more 3 to 4 whistles.
Making Masala :
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee and 1 1/2 tablespoon butter in a heavy bottom pot.
- Add bay leaf, black cardamom & green cardamom and sauté them for a min.
- Now add finely chopped onions and saute it until golden or light brown.
- Then add a tablespoon of ginger garlic paste and saute for a min until the raw smell goes off.
- Next, add the tomato puree and saute for a while.
- Start adding the seasonings like 1 teaspoon of salt, 3/4 teaspoon of red chilli powder and 1 teaspoon garam masala.
- Stir everything well and saute until the masala cooks well and turns thick. And the masala begins to smell good once done.
- Mash the cooked lentils and add them to the pot along with the lentils stock.
- Stir everything well and add a cup of water to it.
Slow Cooking :
- Stir and continue cooking on the lowest flame possible.
- Keep stirring often to avoid sticking at the bottom or burning.
- After an hour add half a cup of water and cook until the dal thickens.
- Continue cooking on a low flame for a total of 80 mins while stirring every now and then to prevent sticking and burning.
- Taste the Dal Makhani for seasoning add if anything required.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon crushed Kasuri Methi and stir.
- Now add 1/4 cup cream and continue cooking for 10 more mins.
- Turn off the flame once you get the consistency of thick, creamy & flavorful and add 1 teaspoon butter.
- Dal Makhani Recipe goes very well with Indian Bread like Butter naan, Roti, Tandoori Roti, jeera rice and basmati rice.
- Garnish Dal Makhani with cream or butter and sprinkle finely chopped coriander before serving.
Nutrition Facts: Dal Makhani Recipe
Calories 410 | Fat 22 g | Saturated fat 13 g | Cholesterol 59 mg | Sodium 1217 mg | Potassium 350 mg | Carbohydrates 37 g | Fiber 16 g | sugar 4 g | Protein 15 g | Vitamin A 664 IU | Vitamin C 11 mg | Calcium 72 mg | Iron 5 mg.