How to make Coconut Chutney/COCONUT CHUTNEY RECIPE
Before we get to know how to make coconut chutney/coconut chutney recipe, let’s find out what is coconut chutney.
What is Coconut Chutney?
Coconut Chutney is a basic accompaniment served with most of the south Indian breakfast dishes like idli, dosa, Vada, poori etc. Coconut Chutney is basically made by blending fresh tender coconut, green chillies, cumin seeds, Chana dal, salt, fresh ginger and garlic, then tempered (tadka) with oil, mustard seeds, dry red chillies, curry leaves and urad dal.
Ingredients for Coconut Chutney:
- Fresh tender coconut chopped – 1 cup
- Chana dal – 2 tablespoons
- Green chillies – 2 big chilli (use as necessary spice needed)
- Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Ginger – 1-inch cube
- Garlic – 1 to 2 cloves
- Salt as necessary
- Water – ½ cup (add more if needed)
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Dry red chillies – 2 no’s (broken)
- Curry leaves – 4 to 5 leaves
- Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
How to make Coconut Chutney/COCONUT CHUTNEY RECIPE :
Take a mixing jar and add freshly chopped tender coconut, Chana dal, green chillies, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic and salt if needed.
- Now mix all the ingredients well until you get a smooth texture.
- Add as much water as needed to the mixed ingredients and mix them until there are no more lumps.
- Check the seasoning and add if necessary and transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan until it becomes hot.
- Now add the mustard seeds and wait for them to crack.
- Then add 2 broken dry red peppers and 4 to 5 curry leaves.
- Once the curry leaves are crisp, add the tadka to the coconut chutney.
- Mix well and the coconut chutney is ready to serve as a side dish with idli, dosa, Vada, etc.
Variations of Coconut Chutney:
You can make many variations of coconut chutneys depending on adding lots of various ingredients like fresh mint, fresh cilantro, tamarind, tomatoes, onions, carrots, beets, raw mangoes, peanuts, etc. and make the chutneys a unique style. The ingredients you choose and add give your chutney a big difference in taste and a flavour unique to chutney, for example. adding raw mango pulp gives spice, adding peanuts gives a nutty flavour, adding beet gives you an earthy flavour to your chutney.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
You may also like: