Before we get know how to make chole bhature/chole bhature recipe let’s get to know what is chole bhature.
What is Chole Bhature?
Chole bhature is a combination of curry made with chickpeas and bhature is a large poori. Simply to say a large poori (Indian flatbread) Served with Chickpeas curry.
Traditionally it’s a famous dish of punjabi cuisine which is popular in all over India and also popular in foreign countries.
Chole Bhature is a popular combination normally served for breakfast and lunch.
It is Served with sliced onions, green chillies, and lemon wedges as a side with the dish. It’s very filling dish, after having it you might feel like taking a nap.
The delicious chole ( chickpeas curry) can also be served with regular pooris, naans, butter naans, kulchas or Parathas.
Chole Have to be cooked really well, they should be cooked soft and should melt in mouth when you eat. You should soak the chickpeas overnight and take good care while cooking so they won’t turn up overcooked or become mushy.
If you are looking for more Breakfast Recipes
Check out :
How to make Chole Bhature/Chole Bhature Recipe:
Chole Bhature Ingredients:
Chole (chickpeas curry) Ingredients:
- Dried Chickpeas – 1 cup
- Oil or ghee – 3 tablespoons
- turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- red chilli powder -1/2 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- hing – 1 pinch
- amchur powder – 1 teaspoon
- slit green chillies – 2 nos
- whole garam masala or chole masala – 1 teaspoon ( Homemade or ready-made)
- salt as required
- Chopped onion – 1 medium
- Green chillies – 2 nos
- Tomatoes – 2 nos
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- water as required for pressure cooking and for gravy
whole garam masala Powder:
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- bay leaf – 1
- cinnamon – 2 small sticks
- cloves – 3 nos
- cardamom – 2 nos
- whole Black pepper – 3 nos
Ingredients for Bhature:
- Refined or all-purpose flour – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Semolina (Rava) 1/2 cup
- Oil or Ghee – 1/2 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1/2 tablespoon
- salt as required
- Baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
- Yoghurt – 1/2 cup
- water as required
- oil for deep-fat frying
HOW TO MAKE CHOLE BHATURE/CHOLE BHATURE RECIPE step by step:
Pressure Cooking Chickpeas:
- Rinse white chickpeas for a couple of times and soak them in enough water overnight for 7 hours.
- Drain all the water and cook the chickpeas with water, add some salt and pressure cook them.
- Keep the cooked chickpeas aside by draining all the water.
Making the Gravy:
- For making the gravy for chole add chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and green chillies to a blender.
- Blend all the ingredients to a fine paste.
- Fry all whole garam masala (cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, black pepper) in some oil.
- Now add the blended paste to the fried whole garam masala once it turns fragrant but not burned.
- Stir it often and saute it for 10 mins more till the oil starts to leave the sides of the masala paste, thickens and becomes glossy and make sure it doesn’t burn or stick to the pan.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, hing, salt and amchur powder.
- Stir well and saute for a min and add chickpeas to the gravy.
- add water as required and mix it well.
- Cook it on a medium flame for 12 mins or more till the gravy thickens.
- To thicken the gravy mash few chickpeas which help in thickening.
- Add garam masala powder and green chilli and mix well.
- Check seasoning and add more if required any and garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
- Serve hot Chickpeas curry with bhature along with a side of sliced onions, slit green chillies and lemon wedges.
Making Bhature Recipe:
- In a mixing bowl Sieve all-purpose flour, add salt, baking soda, semolina and sugar.
- Add yoghurt and water and mix them well and start to knead to a smooth and soft dough.
- cover the kneaded dough with a wet muslin cloth and let it rest for a couple of hours.
- Divide the kneaded dough to small portions and roll them to neat balls between your palms.
- spread a bit of oil on the work surface, place the dough ball and press it lightly with your fingers and roll the dough into a round circle shape using a rolling pin.
- Heat oil in a Kadai on high flame for deep frying.
- Slide the rolled dough into the hot oil and it will start puffing in the oil.
- Once the oil stops sizzling turn over the bhature to cook them evenly.
- Remove the bhature once they turn golden and drain on paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- In the same way, roll and fry the rest bhature.
- Serve the hot puffed bhature with chole (chickpeas curry).
calories 645 kcal/ carbohydrates 90g/ protein 19 g/ fat 25 g/ saturated fat 3 g/ Cholesterol 4 mg/ sodium 880 mg/ potassium 775 mg/ fiber 13 g/ sugar 12g/ vitamin A 610 IU/ vitamin B1 1 mg/ Vitamin B2 1 mg/ vitamin B3 1 mg/ vitamin B12 1 g/ vitamin C 15 mg/ vitamin E 9 mg/ vitamin B9 401 g/ vitamin K 11 g/ Calcium 130 mg/ iron 7 mg/ magnesium 90 mg/ phosphorus 306 mg/ zinc 3 mg.
Let me know in comments If you have tried it at Your home ?
Rate your experience please do subscribe and share.